Saturday, January 3, 2009

UTube

I am going to be honest, I really did not like UTube until recently, and I still have issues with the entire idea. Working in a library I often see kids looking at UTube at things like fighting and other rather disturbing images. I boycotted the use of it in my house for fear of my kids seeing inappropriate videos, (I have loads of family members who seem to think that because I have a good computer and fast internet that they can use and abuse my stuff...hmmm...sounds like library patrons...)
But anyways, I recently needed to find a old kids show that was once on PBS, so my husband suggested UTube, and there it was. Needless to say I have raised my boycott, but I still have rules in line and the viewing is limited to adults.
This is my problem with UTube: kids are able to see and experience things that should be censored from their ears. Many times this is the parent's fault which is why I regulate what my son does on the computer, but how many parents think it is "cool" to share crap with their kids and even worse have their kids do stupid stuff and put it on places like UTube. In my opinion when we allow questionable stuff to be displayed in such manners, we are glorifying the content and therefore giving our approval. Once again, out comes my advocacy for children in the lack of morals and commen sense in parents when it comes to what it best for a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment